What Are Dental Bridges?
Are you worried about your missing teeth? According to the American Dental Association, adults aging between twenty and sixty-four have an average of three missing teeth. Thankfully, you now have plenty of tooth replacement options to choose from and that includes dental bridges.
A dental bridge is a fixed bridge that restores missing teeth. It spans the area where you lost your teeth and usually consists of an artificial tooth being fused between two dental crowns. Specifically, the adjoining crowns are hollow to fits over your natural tooth, or in some cases, a dental implant.
Interesting Facts About Dental Bridges
How Is A Dental Bridge Made?
- For individuals who have healthy teeth on both sides of the missing tooth, or teeth, the two healthy teeth need to be filed down in preparation for the bridge. Assuming you don’t have healthy teeth, you may consider dental implants.
- Implants are artificial tooth roots that replace natural tooth roots. The implants serve as anchors for the dental bridge.
- After filing your teeth, your dentist will take an impression or mold of your teeth. This model will be used as a reference to produce a customized artificial tooth as well as the two dental crowns on each side.
- While you wait for your permanent bridge to be finished, you’ll be asked to wear a temporary dental bridge to protect your exposed gums and teeth.
- On your next visit, the temporary bridge will be removed and the customized bridge will be placed inside your mouth. The crowns on both sides may be cemented into your healthy teeth or they may be attached to dental implants.
What Are The Different Kinds of Dental Bridges?
There are three different types of dental bridges – traditional, cantilever, and Maryland.
Traditional dental bridges include a dental crown for the healthy tooth or dental implant on either side and pontic in between. A cantilever bridge is used when there are adjacent teeth on only a single side of the missing tooth. Last but not least, a Maryland bonded bridge or Maryland bridge is a bride that’s made of porcelain-fused-to-metal, porcelain, or plastic teeth and gums that are supported by either a porcelain or metal framework.
How Long Do Dental Bridges Last?
Dental bridges are designed to last for more than ten years. In fact, they can be extended up to fifteen years and more. You just have to practice good oral hygiene and visit your dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups. This is because you need to keep your healthy teeth strong to hold your dental bridge in place.
Are You Interested in Dental Bridges?
If you want to replace missing teeth with dental bridges, you’ve come to the right place.
At Hood Family Dentistry, we strive to provide exceptional dental care with gentleness and compassion. We promise to provide a pleasant experience whenever you visit our clinic. Our team is trained and skilled to provide dental restorations and cosmetic smile makeovers. Call us today to achieve your best happy and healthy smile!